Please send your resume and any relevant certifications/ credentials to the Camp Director to receive access to the Medical/ Lifeguard/ Staff applications.
2019 SUMMER SESSION DATES:
July 20th – July 24th (Sat. - Wed.)
July 24th – July 28th (Wed. - Sun.)
Who may serve as a Camp medical staff?
Any medical staff or medical professional who has the knowledge of caring for special needs children and young adults is strongly encouraged to volunteer. Because Camp Dream accepts all types of disabilities, you should be comfortable with performing tasks ranging from distribution of simple over-the-counter pain medications, to dealing with feeding tubes or seizures. While the professional aspects of the position are challenging, the personal rewards are absolutely incredible. Anyone 18, or older in age may volunteer as a Counselor. Backgrounds are checked for all Counselors and Staff.
What do Camp Nurses do?
The medical staff is one of the key reasons that Camp Dream can support the diversity of conditions that are served. They provide the medical knowledge necessary to make sure that every child has the opportunity to enjoy camp. In addition to their medical duties, the nurses have the freedom to enjoy spending time with the kids either running around the pavilion area or playing in the pool! Every volunteer at Camp is expected and encouraged to be a source of fun and energy for the kids.
Medical staff are the medical care personnel for the camp. Additional support is available from the Institute’s medical staff and the adjacent hospital, but the minute-by-minute details are the responsibility of the medical staff. Duties include:
· Reviewing medical forms for special considerations and concerns prior to camper arrival.
· Confer with parents and counselors about special problems and needs of campers.
· Collect medications and setup a schedule for the dispensing of them.
· Dispense all prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
· Prepare and maintain first-aid kits.
· Monitor campers for signs of heat illness or other medical difficulties.
· Perform minor first-aid as needed.
· Promote the use of sunscreen to all campers and counselors.
· Promote proper hydration.
· Provide help with the personal hygiene needs of campers.
This position is not paid; at least not in the traditional sense. You won’t make a dime, but you will be richer than Midas in love received and joy taken! All expenses for food and lodging are included, as are all of the medical supplies.
If you are interested in becoming a camp nurse/ lifeguard/ staff, please send your resume and any relevant certifications/ credentials to the Camp Director, or call us with any questions at 678-367-0040.